: Might also consider passing in more optional context when retrieving
: the similarity for a field (such as a Query, if searching).
: Something like Similarity.getSimilarity(String field, Query q).

i assume you mean "Searcher.getSimilarity(String fieldName, Query q)" to
replace the current Searcher.getSimilarity() right?  (where in both cases
we are talking about an instance method and not a static method)

There's been some discussions about this in the past, I think at one point
Doug suggested almost the exact same thing in this thread...

http://www.nabble.com/-jira--Created%3A-%28LUCENE-577%29-SweetSpotSimiliarity-to4533741.html#a4536312

...it could probably be done in a completley backwards compatible way.

-Hoss