I am not sure, BooleanQuery takes something that can score, e.g. being a
Clause or a Query, the contract requires some sort of scoring functionality.
We use DocIdSetQuery for some of the scoring capabilities such as constant
score (with boosting), age decay, and using the new scoring api in 2.3.
Maybe I am misunderstanding the point o the question.

Thanks

-John