My understanding is this is an area of research in Info. Retrieval in general. There is some attempt at this with the query normalization factor in the scoring model, but my understanding is one shouldn't rely on it. You might try searching Google scholar (or MSN Academic Live, which I prefer :-) ). I think Hoss's response in that thread you link, however, is right on. The scores for Lucene are only meant for comparison within the given search result. I would even go so far as to say the scores may not be comparable for the same query done at different times, unless absolutely nothing has changed in the index.

My question back is what are you trying to do that you think you need it?