Right, I havn't dug into that either other than to change it to a TermQuery and it still doesn't get a hit - so I just assumed it never worked. I don't think its the payloads, just the test, but I'll look into it. Def some cleanup left at a minimum, and perhaps some thought beyond that.

Grant Ingersoll (JIRA) wrote:
[ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1001?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12621578#action_12621578 ]
Grant Ingersoll commented on LUCENE-1001:

TestBoostingTermQuery.testNoPayload now fails for me.

Also noticed some extraneous System.out.println.

Add Payload retrieval to Spans
------------------------------

                Key: LUCENE-1001
            Fix For: 2.4

        Attachments: LUCENE-1001.patch, LUCENE-1001.patch, LUCENE-1001.patch,
LUCENE-1001.patch, LUCENE-1001.patch

It will be nice to have access to payloads when doing SpanQuerys.
See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/52270 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/51134
Current API, added to Spans.java is below.  I will try to post a patch as soon
as I can figure out how to make it work for unordered spans (I believe I have
all the other cases working).
{noformat}
 /**
   * Returns the payload data for the current span.
   * This is invalid until [EMAIL PROTECTED] #next()} is called for
   * the first time.
   * This method must not be called more than once after each call
   * of [EMAIL PROTECTED] #next()}. However, payloads are loaded lazily,
   * so if the payload data for the current position is not needed,
   * this method may not be called at all for performance reasons.<br>
   * <br>
   * <p><font color="#FF0000">
   * WARNING: The status of the <b>Payloads</b> feature is experimental.
   * The APIs introduced here might change in the future and will not be
   * supported anymore in such a case.</font>
   *
   * @return a List of byte arrays containing the data of this payload
   * @throws IOException
   */
  // TODO: Remove warning after API has been finalized
  List/*<byte[]>*/ getPayload() throws IOException;
  /**
   * Checks if a payload can be loaded at this position.
   * <p/>
   * Payloads can only be loaded once per call to
   * [EMAIL PROTECTED] #next()}.
   * <p/>
   * <p><font color="#FF0000">
   * WARNING: The status of the <b>Payloads</b> feature is experimental.
   * The APIs introduced here might change in the future and will not be
   * supported anymore in such a case.</font>
   *
   * @return true if there is a payload available at this position that can be
loaded
   */
  // TODO: Remove warning after API has been finalized
  public boolean isPayloadAvailable();
{noformat}