I too am bugged by inconsistent formatting and must hold back the temptation to fix it.

And I agree a patch for a real change should not mix-in formatting changes.

I do worry that wholesale formatting changes will obsolete pending patches (though really we should try to keep "pending patches" at a minimum -- hmm I see we have 73 open issues with patch available), and make someone with alot of pending changes pull all their hair out after doing "svn up". I'm not sure if that cost makes it worth it net/ net. Plus, unless we get help enforcing the styles over time (eg the ideas in the Solr thread), things will likely diverge with time again anyway.

Mike

Mark Miller wrote:

I'd like to clean up a lot of inconsistent code formatting I've seen. Being consistent across the project would be cool, and its easy to do with the intelij/eclipse formatting settings out there.

Looks like not so easy to get done though, as you can see from this solr discussion: http://www.nabble.com/Code-style-td10668515.html

Some good points are made in the thread, the biggest in my mind being that a ton of patches in JIRA become a major pain to apply/fix.

What about a slower approach maybe? I'd be happy to do a handful of classes a month or something. Or are there better ideas? Or are we just stuck on this (not that its a big issue to be stuck on)?

The idea of fixing as patches come in is appealing, but not if most people doing patches are not in on the game. And it becomes noise in the patch - I tried to hold myself off from fixing anything in the last patch I was working on because it just makes it harder for someone else to look at the patch and just the functional changes made.

It would be cool to have more consistent code though - especially, there are some big indenting issue here and there that really bug me.