Jason,

Is your need for IndexReader.clone entirely driven by needing a fast way to swap in your own deleted docs?

Meaning, if you could plug in your own deleted docs to a reader (somehow), would you not use clone anymore?

Mike

Jason Rutherglen wrote:

Hello,

In trying to figure out the best way to have a system for realtime whereby the deletedDocs do not need to be saved there are two possible methods, 1) setting the DocIdBitSet manually (which breaks the saving and things, but does not require doing norms cloning), or 2) implementing IndexReader.clone
which requires deletedDocs and norms "copy on write".

The discussion about reopen (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-743 ) was lengthy and I can see from the code and the discussion why no one wants to revisit IndexReader.reopen in the form of IndexReader.clone and possibly mess things up.

Is some alternative easier API possible that I'm missing?

-J