I just don't see how we will ever get to 3.0 if we continue this path. People don't seem interested in much beyond new features and bug fixes, so if we're going to do this 2.9 to 3.0 thing, I think we need to go for it a bit more wholeheartedly and say that 2.9 truly is not going to have any new features and is solely going to be about deprecation. Thus, we should be able to do 2.5 and then soon thereafter do 2.9, otherwise the urge to "fix and extend" will always be there.

I personally think it's possible to deprecate w/o having to say what the new thing is going to look like, in some cases. A major release should be an opportunity to clean up and improve, but we shouldn't have to decide all of it immediately. We know what we don't like, but that doesn't mean we necessarily have what we do like decided on. I think it's too much of a burden.

-Grant