Ken,

Just my opinion here... i work with a lot of multilingual data with lucene.
I can't imagine many serious real-world applications doing things such as
search that wouldn't need ICU for something anyway... even if its not the
lucene piece requiring it...

I hope this doesn't discourage you from doing what you are trying to do...
just my opinion. Maybe the JDK will catch up sometime soon and this won't be
an issue for long.