: My vote for contrib would depend on the state of the code - if it passes all
: the tests and is truly back compat, and is not crazy slower, I don't see why
: we don't move it in right away depending on confidence levels. That would
: ensure use and attention that contrib often misses. The old parser could hang
: around in deprecation.

FWIW: It's always bugged me that the existing queryParser is in the "core"
anyway ... as i've mentioned before: I'd love to see us move towards
putting more features and add-on functionality in contribs and keeping the
core as lean as possible: just the core functionality for indexing &
searching ... when things are split up, it's easy for people who want
every lucene feature to include a bunch of jars; it's harder for people
who want to run lucene in a small footprint (embedded apps?) to extract
classes from a big jar.

so my vote would be to make it a contrib ... even if we do deprecate the
current query parser because this can be 100% back compatible -- it just
makes it a great opportunity to get query parsing out of hte core.

-Hoss