(resending msg from earlier today during @apache mail outage -- i didn't get a copy from the list, so i'm assuming no one did)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

: TopDocCollector's (TDC) implementation of collect() seems a bit problematic
: to me.

This code isn't an area i'm very familiar with, but your assessment seems
correct ... it looks like when LUCENE-1356 introduced the ability to
provide a PriorityQueue to the constructor, the existing optimization when
the score was obvoiusly too low was overlooked.

It looks like this same bug got propogated to TopScoreDocCollector
when it was introduced as well.

: Introduce in TDC a private boolean which signals whether the default PQ is
: used or not. If it's not used, don't do the 'else if' at all. If it is used,
: then the 'else if' is safe. Then code could look like:

my vote would just be to change the ">=" comarison to a hq.lessThan call
... but i can understand how your proposal might be more efficient -- I'll
let the performance experts fight it out ... but i definitely think you
should fil a bug.

-Hoss