You was. I just wanted to point out that in real apps you're not going
to see stale data longer than for milliseconds

Agreed, which is why this whole discussion is very theoretical anyway :)

On cache miss, I re-retrieve pool reference after a lock (HashMap is
no longer stale), re-read a string, and do the write only if the
string is still not there.

Ah I see what you're saying now, I had been overlooking the re-retrieval of the pool reference. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

The truth is born in argument. I reread jmm docs to be sure, but I
can't guarantee I understood them well.

Seems like you have a pretty good understanding to me :)