I hope that I don't make a complete fool of myself, but I'm talking about
this:

  private List exceptions = new ArrayList();

and this (MergeThread.run()):

          synchronized(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.this) {
            exceptions.add(exc);
          }

Nothing seems to read this exceptions list, anywhere. That's what confused
me in the first place - it looks as if at some point saving those exceptions
was for a reason, but not anymore?

I see that you already fixed CMS to sleep for 250 ms (I'd add few lines that
explain why we do it) - thanks !

I wonder if we should remove this exceptions list? It's only accessed if an
exception is thrown, and therefore does not have any impact on performance
or anything (even though it syncs on CMS), but it's just confusing.

Shai