Okay, I've got some more time on my hands.
While fixing the tests, I found a reopen() bug on trunk, which was
previously hidden from tests by SR-as-toplevel-reader optimization.
(LUCENE-1645)
Can post the first experimental patch tomorrow, with this test failing.

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 16:06, Michael McCandless
<luc...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will post one soon.
>>
>> Had to slightly modify a whole bunch of tests relying on
>> IndexReader.open(dir) returning SegmentReader instance for
>> single-segment indexes.
>> Currently struggling with Clone/CloneNorms/Reopen tests that actually
>> verify old behaviour.
>>
>> The fun part is - SR no longer has to pose as toplevel
>> directory-owning reader, so most of stuff moved from DIR to MSR and
>> now DIR is almost empty, save for static factory methods and a pair of
>> flags.
>> I'm going to remove DIR completely and make MSR/SR inherit directly from IR.
>
> Sounds good!  Nice simplifications...
>
>> All affected classes/methods are package-private, so I bet that
>> doesn't hamper backwards compatibility?
>
> Run ant test-tag to see if the machine agrees with you?
>
> Likely tests will fail, eg at least those verifying old behavior, but
> if it's because these tests were relying on package-private APIs or
> old behavior, you should fix the tests (on the back-compat branch) and
> include that in your patch.
>
> Yonik is there anything in Solr that might not like this change?
>
> Mike

Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
ICQ: 104465785