OK it sounds like a single global actsAsVersion is too problematic.

So how about, for cases where back compat default settings are
important (analyzers, query scoring changes, etc.) we add
actsAsVersion as a mandatory ctor argument to those classes
(deprecating the other ctors)?  We would do this on demand, the first
time a class needs to change its default behavior.

For example, in 2.9 we'd like sorting by field to not return score by
default.  So, we'd add actsAsVersion to IndexSearcher's ctors, and
IndexSearcher then looks at the version it should emulate and sets the
defaults correctly.

New users would not use the deprecated API, and would pass
Versions.LUCENE_LATEST.  Existing users on upgrading would see that
they need to explicitly set their compatibility level (and, we'd default
it to the last version so that back-compat users don't see anything
break on upgrading).

Mike