On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Michael McCandless
<luc...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Earwin Burrfoot<ear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  * Was the field even indexed w/ Trie, or indexed as "simple text"?

Why the special treatment for Trie?

>    It's useful to know this "automatically" at search time, so eg a
>    RangeQuery can do the right thing by default.  FieldInfos seems
>    like the natural place to store this.  It's basically Lucene's
>    per-segment write-once schema.  Eg we use this to record "did any
>    token in this field have a Payload?", which is analogous.

It doesn't seem analogous to me.  Trie is just another implementation
for numerics with it's own tradeoffs.

>  * We have a bug (or an important improvement) in how Trie encodes
>    terms that we need to fix.  This one is not easy to handle, since
>    such a change could alter the term order, and merging segments
>    then becomes problematic.  Not sure how to handle that.  Yonik,
>    has Solr ever had to make a change to NumberUtils?

Nope.  If we needed to, we would make a new field type so that
existing schemas/indexes would continue to work.

-Yonik