> Yes please post feature requests to Sun ;)

I signed up for
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/mailman/listinfo/nio-discuss

> But I think in the short term Lucene will have to drop to
native code to tell OS not to cache bytes read by segment
merging...

LUCENE-1121 uses transferTo which presumably doesn't run bytes
through the IO cache? Granted it's slower on most platforms, but
could this be fixed in future Java releases?