I do it that way:

-          Checkout the backwards branch (not the tag) to
trunk/tags/lucene_2_4_back_compat_tests. I have this checkout everytime
there, I update it regularily together with trunk.

-          Place and leave a build.properties files with the following line
in your trunk dir: "tag=lucene_2_4_back_compat_tests"

-          You can then test using ant test / test-tag and so on, the java
property fixes the tag directory to your branch checkout. The good thing is,
that you always have the last revision of branch and can modify and commit
it directly.

-          If everything is ok, do a tag from your checked out branch (svn
copy .) and then update the main common-build.xml

I was always wondering: Why do we need tags for the backwards tests? Why not
just automatically checkout the revision equal to the current trunk revision
for testing (what I did manually)? Currently we always have to create a new
tag after each commit to backwards branch, this is somehow strange (ok, by
that you fix the revision used for testing this trunk checkout, but if you
checkout the same revision no in the backwards branch that trunk currently
has, it would always be correctly related).

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
 <http://www.thetaphi.de> http://www.thetaphi.de