I think that when LUCENE-1750 is finished, you will be able to:

1) Create a MergePolicy that limits the segments size it's about to merge to
a certain size.
2) Then have a daemon or something that runs on "idle" times and call
optimize(maxNumSegments), or even open a new writer w/ the default merge
policy and allow it to merge?

Shai