> Is there any example when you cannot use the processing phase for that?

I actually meant that w/ the old QP I can also do it, by extending
QueryParser and overriding "newWildcardQuery(Term)". I'm sure this can be
done w/ the new QP as well. I just gave an example to something the new QP
does not allow me to do more easily.

About the opaque clauses and '@' - usually I'd think it's not the user who
writes such queries, but the application developer. Therefore the '@' does
not really matter.

Without opaque clauses, if I want to add some ability, like Spatial search
together w/ the other Lucene syntax, I will have a problem. I will need to
copy the SyntaxParser and add Spatial syntax to it. And with that I lose
whatever improvements that will be done on the default SyntaxParser.

We can not have the '@', but field::'some query', i.e., double colon (::)
and query string surrounded w/ '. Maybe that will look more native to the
user. We can perhaps have one colon (:) and ' to surround the query and
change the field handling to recognize this is an opaque field (because of
the '), but I don't know if this breaks the current syntax/parser.

Shai