From: Shai Erera [mailto:ser...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:05 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Finishing Lucene 2.9

What will be w/ generics? Won't they break cack-compat as soon as we add
them (e.g., if we move to accepting parameters as generics - it may break an
application which does not use generics yet). I think that the move to 1.5
needs to include the generics as well, unless we're willing to break
back-compat later on.

Shai

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Mark Miller<markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I forgot about this oddity. Its so weird. Its like we are doing two
>> releases on top of each other - it just seems confusing.
>>

> I'm also not wed to the "fast turnaround" (remove deprecations, switch
> to generics) 3.0 release.
>
> We could, instead, take out time doing the 3.0 release, ie let it
> include new features too.
>
> I thought I had read a motivation for the 1.9 -> 2.0 fast turnaround,
> but I can't remember it nor find it now...
>
> Mike

I thought the motivation was to provide a clean upgrade path with the
deprecations - you move to 2.9 and move from all the deprecated methods
- then you move to 3.0 and your good with no deprecations. I'd guess the
worry is that new features in 3.0 would add new deprecations and its not
quite so clean?

Personally, I think thats fine though. New deprecations will come in 3.1
anyway. You can still move everything in 2.9, and then move to 3.0 - so
what if something else is now deprecated? You can move again or wait for
3.9 to move ...

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com