Sorry to interject, but I think that the most useful thing that could be done to this page would be the creation of a standard benchmark test suite that someone could simply download and run on own systems.

That way the benchmarking numbers for all users could be easily compared between boxes etc... etc.

Perhaps a simple modification of the lucene demo that includes some sort of .. largish data source to index, and then a configured number of searches run against that corpus with known parameters? (yes you could in fact go alot further than this, but I figure its a start)

All users would have to do is download the somewhat large tar, and then run some sort of test harness script that was included, and then post their results.

I'm sure its not feasible to do something like this with the current release schedule, but I think it would be nice to have.

Matt

Chris Hostetter wrote:
: Prob want to run it on decent hardware as well (eg mabye I shouldn't do
: it with my 5200 rpm laptop drives).

as long as both are run on the same hardware, and the page lists the hardware, it's the relative numbers that matter the most.

-Hoss

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics