On Sep 22, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

And yet, at the first SF Meetup, I recall having a discussion with Michael B. about this approach versus IR.reopen() that left me wondering which one is better, since, Lucene has, in fact, always been about incremental updates (since there are commercial systems out there that require complete re-indexing) and that getting IR.reopen to perform is just a matter of tuning one's application in regards to reads and writes vs. having to do all this work in the IndexWriter that now tightly couples the IndexReader to the IndexWriter.

FWIW, I still don't like the coupling of the two. I think it would be better if IW allowed you to get a Directory (or some other appropriate representation) representing the in memory segment that can then easily be added to an existing Searcher/Reader. This would at least decouple the two and instead use the common data structure they both already share, i.e. the Directory. Whether this is doable or not, I am not sure.