This all sounds like great work, thank you for putting in the time! I ended up retooling a fair bit of Spatial myself (especially the Tiering stuff which was, perhaps, a bit questionable in places). One of the bigger concerns I had throughout the package, after delving into it, was the overuse of 2d projections and planar math; this is fine for small regions, but tends to cause noticeable distortions as you scale up to large areas. There was also almost no handling of meridian traversing, although it looks like Mark Miller has started adding some code to help that (thank you!). These are sort of esoteric concerns, but fairly vital if the solution is to scale to meet global needs. I didn't find the JTS libraries useful as a geometric basis for basically these reasons, unfortunately, although there are likely portions that could be useful (e.g. simple features polydata parsing). I've tried to move a fair bit of my code to be slightly more 3d intelligent, handle different shapes better (bounding boxes natively, at least, with hooks for arbitrary polygons), and work better with meridians. To be honest, it's been an almost complete rewrite. I'm trying to get management to settle on an open source policy (currently, it's all just for internal purposes) and hopefully I'll be able to post the bits that may be useful, although I'm happy to say it sounds like you're making much of this work obsolete and I can't wait to see the patch. =)

Cheers,
Aaron

gento0nz wrote:
Hi,

Since my contribution in LUCENE-1732 I have been working on re-writing most of the spatial contrib, particularly the Cartesian Tier code. I have added javadoc, tests and and have removed many of the classes which were either deprecated, unused or unnecessary. I have also tried to define easier extension points for adding things like JTS support, and different data formats (whether it be geohashes or traditional latitude and longitude). Much of the work has been done with Solr integration in mind with the overall goal being to create enterprise ready spatial search support.

I am also planning on collaborating with some of the developers from the JPL to improve the range the geographic functions supported and to provide efficient searching with even the most massive and varied of data sets.

I have every intention to contribute this as another patch soon.

Thanks,
Chris