> Call me old fashioned, but I like how the non constructor params are set
> now.
And what happens when you index some docs, change these params, index
more docs, change params, commit? Let's throw in some threads?
You either end up writing really hairy state control code, or just
leave it broken, with "Don't change parameters after you start pumping
docs through it!" plea covering your back somewhere in JavaDocs.
If nothing else, having stuff 'final' keeps JIT really happy.

> And for some reason I like a config object over a builder pattern for
> the required constructor params.
Builder pattern allows you to switch concrete implementations as you
please, taking parameters into account or not.
Besides that there's no real difference. I prefer builder, but that's just me :)