On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Yonik Seeley
<yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> And it seems like a PQ per segment simply delays many of the slow
> lookups until the end where the PQs must be merged.

Actually, I'm wrong about that part - one can simply merge on
values... there will be lots of string comparisons (and a new merge
queue) but no binary searches.

Of course a different part of the proposal  is problematic: "This way,
we avoid the lookup from value->ord, and can keep the simpler API:
ScoreDocComparator, which is much easier to extend for custom
sorting."

We really don't want two different sort API's right?  So could you
still make this faster using the new comparator APIs?

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com