Will do, along with a patch.

Michael

From: Simon Willnauer [mailto:simon.willna...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:47 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: CustomScoreQuery Explanation

I don't see any reason why doExplain should be called twice. Can you create an
issue in jira please?

Simon

        On Nov 20, 2009 1:30 AM, "Michael Garski" <mgar...@myspace-inc.com>
wrote:

        Hi there –

        I’m helping out with the Lucene.Net port of 2.9, and when rooting
around in CustomScoreQuery.CustomWeight, I noticed what appears to be an
unnecessary call to doExplain in the explain method.

        Current method in trunk:

            public Explanation explain(IndexReader reader, int doc) throws
IOException {

              Explanation explain = doExplain(reader, doc);

              return explain == null ? new Explanation(0.0f, "no matching
docs") : doExplain(reader, doc);

            }

        Is there a reason it shouldn’t be:

            public Explanation explain(IndexReader reader, int doc) throws
IOException {

              Explanation explain = doExplain(reader, doc);

              return explain == null ? new Explanation(0.0f, "no matching
docs") : explain);

            }

        I might be overlooking something, but it appears to be two calls to
doExplain when only one would suffice.

        Michael

        Michael Garski

        Sr. Search Architect