Hello,

Would it make sense and be possible to spread different index files over
multiple disks (without resorting to putting an index on a RAID)?
For example, what if the index files didn't live in a single index dir, but
were organized by their type in a snallow dir tree, like this:

/path/to/index:
   tis/<tis files here>
   ftd/<fdt files here>
   prx/<prx files here>

Then one could symlink these tis, fdt, prx, etc. dirs to locations that are
really on different disks.
Is this doable and would it help imrpve performance?  I think it could improve
segment merging, index optimization, and searches, because N disk heads would
be able to do ~N times more work because of parallelization.

But the idea seems to simple that it makes me think I'm missing something,
otherwise it would have already been done. :)

Otis
--
Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR