IMHO there are other reasons to upgrade to junit4 besides
parallelization, there are some nice new capabilities. I
suppose the analogous question is "why upgrade to
Lucene 2.9?"

Especially since it's not a matter of upgrading. Junit3 tests run
just fine under junit4. I've tested after removing the
junit3 jar from lib, no problem. It even seems to run
slightly faster, which makes me wonder...

So really, we have the best of both worlds. No work involved in
using Junit4 with the current tests, but the ability to use the
new features of Junit4. Although I'm sure there'll be
*something* that bites us, I have great faith in Murphy.

Kinda reminds me of the Lucene drop-in replacement policy
<G>.......

But on the topic of parallelization: I'm not at all sure
it's worth the effort. As far as I can tell, it really only gets significant
gains when you have more cores to run with. It's not at all clear
to me how much time we spend doing I/O in the tests... very little
I suspect (although I confess I don't know for sure). And if we're
CPU bound anyway, parallelization doesn't help. Anybody know
for sure?

And say we did all the work to parallelize all the tests. And say that
instead of taking 25 minutes on my 3 year old MacBook Pro, we
got it down to 10 minutes. Who cares? 10 minutes is still too long
according to the eXtreme Programming (XP) folks, and I sympathize
with their point of view. Even though I did  spend some time trying
to trim some time.

The XP approach to unit testing is to run it almost every time you
change a line of code. OK, I'm exaggerating, but not by too
much with the die-hard XP folks. Even at 10 minutes, we can't
do that.

So,  I think the value for Lucene/SOLR comes *not* from running the
tests 15 times an hour. I think the real value comes from not
letting errors hide for days/weeks/months/releases. So I'm quite willing
to let the automated builds catch the unit test failures in unexpected
places in those instances where I don't run all of the tests before
a patch is committed. As long as we fix them as soon as they're
found.

OK, I'm rambling. I'm off for Thanksgiving, and my daughter is
at her in-laws until tomorrow (they're visiting from CA). So sue
me <G>.

Best
Erick