On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Erick Erickson
<erickerick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which of these do you think this patch *should* address before committing?
> Just the last two?

Well... I'd really like pluggability to a different value source, with
"FieldUninverter" just being the one we have today, and adding
control/extensibilty over how FieldUninverter deals w/ multi-valued
fields. And I'd like to see that LUCENE-1231 could be built within
that framework (though we don't have to build/finish it today),
as just another value source.

StringIndex's error checking is simple to fix separately -- I've
opened LUCENE-2142 for that.

I think allowing multiple values per field, and being able to cut over
norms/deleted docs to field cache, are clearly future items (but we
should keep them in mind on such a big change to FieldCache,
ie, at least don't "preclude" them or make them harder to achieve).

The remaining items I think are relatively simple to fix.

Basically, I don't see compelling enough gains as the patch currently
stands -- it's largely "moving" the FieldCache API from one place to
another (I think?).  This generates alot of noise, people must migrate
to the new API, but then we still have FieldCache's deeper limitations
to live with.

Fixing these limitations will require improvements to the external API
-- that's what I'd like to get fixed, which would be a good justification for
the API movement noise.

I think especially with the cutover to per-segment searching, the
acceptance (?) that an atomic array is OK, we ought to be able
to bang out a basic interface for some plugin to provide native
arrays.

> As many as Christian has energy for <G>?

I don't think this should be all Christian -- we should all help out
here!  This is a big (and long overdue) change.

Mike