Yeah, by all means open a JIRA issue. If you can get the old tests to pass as well as your new test, that would be fantastic.

On 02/26/2010 10:32 AM, Goddard, Michael J. wrote:

Mark,

After making some changes to a few classes,

M      src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/spans/TermSpans.java
M contrib/highlighter/src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/highlight/HighlighterTest.java M contrib/highlighter/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/highlight/WeightedSpanTermExtractor.java M contrib/highlighter/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/highlight/WeightedSpanTerm.java

the JUnit test below passes. I'm seeing some issues with other tests which I'll have to take care of, and I'm not yet sure how I'll deal with Spans instances (as opposed to NearSpansOrdered, NearSpansUnordered, and TermSpans), since it's an abstract class and I can't call getSubSpans() on that. I was thinking I ought to open a Jira issue for this, attach the current patch, and just keep working. Does this sound like something other users might find useful?

  Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: java-dev-return-46947-michael.j.goddard=saic....@lucene.apache.org on behalf of Mark Miller
Sent: Mon 2/22/2010 3:41 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question on highlighting of nested SpanQuery instances

I played with it sometime back, but I don't have any code left from that exercise.

Its fairly tricky.

Take your example:

>   SpanNearQuery spanNear = new SpanNearQuery(new SpanQuery[] {
>     new SpanTermQuery(new Term(fieldName, "lucene")),
>     new SpanTermQuery(new Term(fieldName, "doug")) }, 5, true);
>
>   Query query = new SpanNearQuery(new SpanQuery[] { spanNear,
>     new SpanTermQuery(new Term(fieldName, "hadoop")) }, 4, true);

First you see the top level SpanNearQuery -

you want to recurse in and just work with the lucene within 5 of dog, ordered, part. But you can't actually work with that alone. That whole span also has to be within 4 of hadoop ordered ... so how do you constrain the sub highlighting? Lets say you do it somehow.

Now you recurse in an want to highlight hadoop - but again, not every hadoop - only the haoops that are within 4, ordered, of the first Span.

So that's really the issue - you want to break up the Span and highlight recursively - but you can't really break them up and maintain all of the positional restrictions required.

So another possible option that gets a little messier might be:

when extracting the allowable positions for a term (which it does by checking the start and end of span), you might also run each inner span that contains that term, and then intersect the positions you find that way with the positions found with the overall span and use that list as the allowable positions. That could get kind of complicated though, especially taking into account the logic of the or and spannot spanqueries.

- Mark