On 03/08/2010 at 2:10 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu> wrote:

> > > Some even less likely suggestions :) : CodecMap, CodecBroker,
> > > CodecSteward, CodecCurator, CodecLibrary, CodecCatalog
> >
> > Or how about CodecMaster - master both in the sense of an original
> from which copies are made, and in the sense of one having control.
>
> Well... it's not really a master in the first sense (like a master
> key), ie, we don't copy it.  We ask it to give us a Codec.

I was thinking that Codecs is like an algorithm - a set of procedures (codecs)
that will reliably produce a desired result (though perhaps providing by-name
access and one by-service access mechanism doesn't really qualify it as such).
So the template/copying sense I was reaching for was from the perspective of
access: each agent accessing an index would need to execute the algorithm /
codec suite in the same way in order to properly deal with it.

> And in the 2nd sense... I don't like that word sense (nor "slave") so
> I try hard not to use these terms anymore.

I get it, and I generally agree, though I was thinking *quarter*master - one
having control over (inanimate) provisions.

Steve