As I mentioned in another thread on this list, I'm interested in setting up a
permanent, linkable-to archive (a.k.a. log) for the lucene IRC channel.

On #lucene, some devs don't want to be logged, and so will not participate on a
logged IRC channel.  Other devs want logging, to be able to point to for
background discussion, and also to provide transparency for those who don't
participate regularly.

In an attempt to satisfy both camps, it was suggested that a new logged channel
be set up.  The name #lucene_dev was suggested, in part because this name
indicates separating user questions, which don't really need to be logged, from
development, in the same way that the Lucene mailing lists are now separated.

Note that this is not an official proposal/vote or anything like that.  I'm
just looking for comments that would change or stop this proposal from being
implemented.

I should say that when I asked about logging #lucene, I didn't anticipate that
it would be controversial (I've always thought that naïveté is my best feature
;) ).  I'm unhappy that creating yet another place to discuss Lucene could
fracture the community.  So I'm not certain that setting up a logged
#lucene_dev is the right way to go.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Steve