Unfortunately, highlighter (and I think also fast vector highlighter)
are able to return a set of fragments which do not match the
query (eg, they only show one of the two required terms).

I really don't like that they do this.

Ideally (to me) the entire excerpt (ie, all fragments appended
together) should match the original query.  Meaning I see at least one
occurrence of each required term (the occurrence of each could occur
in different fragments).

Progress has been made in general -- eg it use to be the case that if
you highlighted a phrase query, eg "president obama", you could see
excerpts that only had one of the words.  That's been fixed by
defaulting to QueryScorer.

To really fix this for all queries is not easy...  there was a long
discussion, here:

I think we should improve the Scorer API so that it can optionally
provide positional details of all matches, probably by absorbing
Span*Query back into their non-span counterparts and enriching the
API.  But this is a biggish change.

Maybe as a stopgap you could pull many fragments from highlighter and
then pick a set of fragments that cover the most unique terms...?
Sort like a coord factor, but for highlighting not BooleanQuery.  Is
it only required clauses you need to fix?

Mike