First off, this is something I've had in my head for a long time, but don't
have any code.

As many of you know, one of the main things that vexes any search engine based
on an inverted index is how to do fast updates of just one field w/o having to
delete and re-add the whole document like we do today.   When I think about the
whole update problem, I keep coming back to the notion of Photoshop (or any
other real photo editing solution) Layers.  In a photo editing solution, when
you want to hide/change a piece of a photo, it is considered best practice to
add a layer over that part of the photo to be changed.  This way, the original
photo is maintained and you don't have to worry about accidentally damaging the
area you aren't interested in.  Thus, a layer is essentially a mask on the
original photo. The analogy isn't quite the same here, but nevertheless...
So, thinking out loud here and I'm not sure on the best wording of this:

When a document first comes in, it is all in one place, just as it is now.
Then, when an update comes in on a particular field, we somehow mark in the
index that the document in question is modified and then we add the new change
onto the end of the index (just like we currently do when adding new docs, but
this time it's just a doc w/ a single field). Then, when searching, we would,
when scoring the affected documents, go to a secondary process that knew where
to look up the incremental changes. As background merging takes place, these
"disjoint" documents would be merged back together. We'd maybe even consider a
"high update" merge scheduler that could more frequently handle these
incremental merges.

I'm not sure where we would maintain the list of changes.  That is, is it
something that goes in the posting list, or is it a side structure.  I think in
the posting list would be to slow.  Also, perhaps it is worthwhile for people
to indicate that a particular field is expected to be updated while others
maintain their current format so as not to incur the penalty on each.
 In a sense, the old field for that document is masked by the new field. I
think, given proper index structure, that we maybe could make that marking of
the old field fast (maybe it's a pointer to the new field, maybe it's just a
bit indicating to go look in the "update" segment)

On the search side, I think performance would still be maintained b/c even in
high update envs. you aren't usually talking about more than a few thousand
changes in a minute or two and the background merger would be responsible for
keeping the total number of disjoint documents low.

I realize there isn't a whole lot to go on here just yet, but perhaps it will
spawn some questions/ideas that will help us work it out in a better way.

At any rate, I think adding incr. field update capability would be a huge win
for Lucene.

-Grant