I like the idea of index conversion tool over silent online upgrade
because it is
1. controllable - with online upgrade you never know for sure when
your index is completely upgraded, even optimize() won't help here, as
it is a noop for already-optimized indexes
2. way easier to write - as flex shows, index format changes are
accompanied by API changes. Here you don't have to emulate new APIs
over old structures (can be impossible for some cases?), you only have
to, well, convert.

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
ICQ: 104465785