From: Nachiket Patel <patel.nachike...@gmail.com>
Subject: [java ee programming] Re: what is the difference between web  server
and web container
To: java-ee-j2ee-programming-with-passion@googlegroups.com
Date: Sunday, 8 February, 2009, 9:09 PM

Hello All,
I think web container is term used by java developers.. right??

Cheers,
Nachiket

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 9:48 PM, dinesh <dinesh.vadiv...@gmail.com> wrote:

A Web Server is a server capable of receiving HTTP requests,

interpreting them, processing the corresponding HTTP Responses and

sending them to the appropriate clients (Web Browsers). Example:

Apache Web Server.

A Web Container is a J2EE compliant implementation which provides an

environment for the Servlets and JSPs to run. Putting it differently

we can say that a Web Container is combination of a Servlet Engine and

a JSP Engine. If an HTTP Request refers to a Web Component (typically

a Servlet or a JSP) then the request is forwarded to the Web Container

and the result of the request is sent back to Web Server, which uses

that result to prepare the HTTP Response for the particular HTTP

Request. Example: Tomcat is a typical Web Container. A typical setup

would be to have Apache HTTP Server as the Web Server and Tomcat as

the Web Container.

An Application Server is a complete server, which provides an

environment for running the business components (EJBs, ADF BCs, etc.)

in addition to providing the capabilities of a Web Container as well

as of a Web Server. Example: Bea WebLogic, IBM WebSphere,

OracleApplication Server, etc

--
Regards,
Nachiket Patel