Hi as per my view,

 following two books are more than enough for getting started. (at least for CORE JAVA)

1. Start with

Programming with Java: a Primer
Author: E Balagurusamy
Published by Tata McGraw-Hill

2. after completing with above go through with

Java 2: the complete reference
Author: Herbert Schildt
Published by McGraw-Hill/Osborne,

3. And after these even you have THIRST for more

then go for Java Language referene, and generics available at java.sun.com

As far as Java Web Development is concerned (i.e. JSP/Servlets)

I strongly recommend

1. Servlets and JavaServer Pages: The J2EE Technology Web Tier
By Jayson Falkner, and Kevin Jones
available @ serverside.com

2. SCWCD Exam Study Kit Second Edition: Java Web Component Developer Certification
by: Hanumant Deshmukh, Jignesh Malavia, and Matthew Scarpino
Publisher: Manning Publications

For EJB you can refer  (all are available at serverside.com)

The J2EE Architect's Handbook
By Derek Ashmore

Mastering EJB
By Rima Patel, Gerald Brose, and Micah Silverman

EJB Design Patterns
Floyd Marinescu

For database go though with

Database System Concepts
By Avi Silberschatz, Henry F. Korth, and S. Sudarshan
Published by McGraw-Hill

Database Management Systems
By Raghu Ramakrishnan, Johannes Gehrke
Published by McGraw-Hill Professional

I've read all of these books during my acedemics(Except EJB) about say for 6yrs (and still reffering).

On job, my organization suggeted me these EJB stuffs and still I'm reading these.

Frankly speaking all these have enough and excellent stuff for J2EE and Database the only

thing is required Time  Dedication. Now as far as Development Tool infact I must say IDE is

concerned Netbeans is quite better for getting started (has less configuration than Eclipse).

As you go further IDE itself tought you about SVN and CVS stuffs, so don't bother about that.

Regards,

AnandKumar