As simple as It should be A web server is a HTTP protocol stack that is
limited to handling HTTP requests.

While a web server mainly deals with sending HTML for display in a web
browser, an application server provides access to server side logic (server
applications) for use by client application programs. DYNAMICS PAGES AS JSP,
PHP, ASP...

When is Apache Web Server an App server?

Well If you install a module like php5.load, you can generate dynamic
contents so you have an app server.

In the case of java there are two kind of App server "servlets container" as
tomcat and "EJBs Container" like Glassfish.

A web server is more optimized to serve static content than an app server.
So If your app is going to have a static section. It should be a good idea
to configure an web server.

I reviewed chrispin's link and It's weird, because  HTTP runs over TCP/IP in
almost all cases.