I would like to thank everyone for there suggestions.  However, I found
changing window managers did the trick.  I stumbled across this when I decided to
let the Java application which was running on a Linux box across the building
display on my O2 which was setting on my desk.  (my laptop was stuck in NT and not
available for linux at the time)  It ran fine, except for some font and layout
problems.  After changing from Enlightenment to Window Maker it ran on the Linux
box.  I update Enlightenment with no improvement.  I have not tried updating
XFree86 yet.

    Speaking of Layout Manager problems.  Is it just me or is Borland's XYLayout
manager "Evil" in a can?  I'm new to GUI in Java, but it seems like a bad path to
go down.