I'm having trouble running the networking examples from the Java
tutorial on the Linux JDK. I know this is basic stuff and I've gone
through the mailing list archives and the FAQ

My problem is that Socket throws an IOException for every IP address
I use. For example:

        try {
            echoSocket = new Socket("localhost", 7);
        } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
            System.err.println(e);
        } catch (IOException e) {
            System.err.println(e);
        }

I'm using the latest JDK 1.2.2 RC2 on a Mandrake 6.1 system (glibc
2.1.2) and I've run the apps from both my user account and from root.
My connection to the Internet is through PPP with dynamic IP
addressing.

"ping localhost" works as does "ping myhostname". But all the Java
clients die with an IOException on the first attempt to create a Socket
object.

  =========
  /etc/hosts
  =========
  127.0.0.1       civic localhost localhost.localdomain

  =========
   /etc/host.conf
  =========
  order hosts,bind