Hi Yavor and everybody else,

Thank you for the detailed replies.

Everybody advises writing a script to run the Pop Server,
in more detail -> using SysV Script , nohup to dissasociate from the
terminal.
So heres the framework for the Java Code

1> Bind to the Pop Socket
2> Release Root Priveleges using JNI
3> Begin accepting Client Connections.

I have reservations about the steps above , will it really be as secure
as
a C application doing the same thing (ie becoming a daemon) or can JVM
be hiding something, which I am unable to pick up !
I have already Implemented the same.

I have a few more questions, I hope you will take some time off to clear
them >>

> I think that yau can do almost all or all in Java, without native code.

Now I am really Interested :)

> -First if you start the server from the SysV scripts you can simply use
> nohup(see man nohup) so you won't be associated with the terminal.

> -I don't know any way of changing EUIDs of the JavaVM/separate thread in
> runtime, but you you can write your won SecurityManager( see the API
> spec./Tutorial for info & examples).  IMHO this is very flexible. This will

Could you please elaborate I am afraid I am not very clear about how
exactly you visualize this Implementation.

> solve the problem with standard file descriptors too.
Are you talking about closing the Standard file descriptor for IO ?

> -The problem with memory leaks is more difficult. I'm not conserced with the
> state of the current JDK - I don't now if or/and where it leaks. But if you
> mean leaks in your code maybe you could just have the critical memory collected
> by the GC. I mean remove the critical object(s)/thread(s) and instance new
> one(s).

I was worried about the entire JVM but I guess I will put this issue on
the backburner for a while, I'll let the script wait on the POp Server
and then
have the Server serve n connections & exit itself, the script can then
restart it.

Thank you for the feedback ...