I did download JDK 1.2.2 from the Sun webpages and it seems to work
as it should when I ran the first example in Deitel & Deitel, _Java,
How to Program_, which sends its output to standard output.

With the second example I ran into two problems, both of which probably
having as much to do with the fact that I am running RedHat 6.2, Gnome,
and Enlightenment.

The first problem is pesky, but not fatal, although it makes the example
unusable except for purposes of my own education.

The second example uses JOptionPane.showInputDialog and
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog.  When I run it it in a gnome terminal
(or in an xterm) the Input Dialog and MessageDialog boxes pop up and
do just what they are supposed to do.  But, unfortunately, on the
terminal the following message, sent to either standard output or standard
error appears repeatedly:

Font specified in font.properties not found
\[--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]

There are several fonts specified in
/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/jre/lib/font.properties with that specificaton, all in
the form of serif.2 or serif.italic.2.  I don't know where java is supposed
to look for them.  So that is one place where I need help.

The other problem has to do with some program---quite likely
enlightenment--- trying to be too clever.  The dialog boxes that running
the program brings up all take the form of regular enlightenment pop-up
boxes, and they have the same bar at the top that enlightenment boxes have.
The rightmost symbol on that bar is a right arrow.  When one clicks on it
it produces an extension of the bar that contains some additional icons.
Now, the problem is that when I clicked on the icon that is supposed to
close the box, the box closed just fine, but the extension to the bar
remained, like the grin after the cat disappeared.  And when I closed
the extension, clicking on the appropriate icon in the extension, the
extension closed all right, but I was informed by enlightenment that that
operation had caused a segmentation fault and advised that I should shut
down X.

Enlightenment also said that that segfault probably was the result of a bug.
So I guess I am asking, is it a known bug?

Thanks for your help.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu