Hi fellow coders,
   I have been writing java on WindowsNT boxes for a while and am just
   trying out java on Linux.  I was trying to issue a command to the
   system via this line of code:

   Runtime.getRuntime().exec("ls > dir.txt");

   It compiles and such but I get no dir.txt.  I tryed a waitFor()
   statement but no help.  In windows you have to do "cmd /c dir >
   dir.txt" in the exec() and I was wondering if you have to specify a
   shell for linux to run in as well.  BTW I'm running Mandrake 7.0.
   Any Ideas?