Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease look at the actionPerformed... I gave you
all the code just in case, but the main problem is there.

I am new and I cannot solve it nor have an idea of what is going on.

import java.applet.Applet;
import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;

/*<applet
 code=hpm.class
 width=200
 height=200
></applet>*/

public class hpm extends Applet implements ActionListener
{
 public TextField valorb, valorm, resultado;
 public Label label1;
 public Button botonok;
 GridBagLayout gridbag;
 GridBagConstraints constraints;

 {
  if(e.getSource() == botonok) {

   /*this is the problem. Why I am not able to create a new TextField at
runtime? Also, is it ok the way I add it to the GridBagLayout ?
Thanks a lot */

   resultado = new TextField("Calculando...");
   resultado.setFont(new Font("Verdana", Font.BOLD, 10));
   resultado.setText("Valor de XXXX");

   constraints.gridwidth = GridBagConstraints.SOUTH;
   constraints.weighty = 1;
   gridbag.setConstraints(resultado, constraints);
   add(resultado);

  }
 }

 public void init()
 {
  setBackground(Color.black);
  setForeground(Color.white);

  gridbag = new GridBagLayout();
  constraints = new GridBagConstraints();
  setLayout(gridbag);

  constraints.gridwidth = GridBagConstraints.WEST;
  constraints.weighty = 1;
  label1 = new Label();
  label1.setFont(new Font("Verdana", Font.BOLD, 10));
  label1.setText("Valor de M");
  gridbag.setConstraints(label1, constraints);
  add(label1);

  valorm = new TextField();
  valorm.setColumns(15);
  valorm.setForeground(Color.yellow);
  constraints.gridwidth = GridBagConstraints.EAST;
  constraints.weighty = 1;
  gridbag.setConstraints(valorm, constraints);
  add(valorm);

  constraints.gridwidth = GridBagConstraints.WEST;
  label1 = new Label();
  label1.setFont(new Font("Verdana", Font.BOLD, 10));
  label1.setText("Valor de B");
  constraints.weighty = 1;
  gridbag.setConstraints(label1, constraints);
  add(label1);

  valorb = new TextField();
  valorb.setColumns(15);
  valorb.setForeground(Color.yellow);
  constraints.gridwidth = GridBagConstraints. EAST;
  constraints.weighty = 1;
  gridbag.setConstraints(valorb, constraints);
  add(valorb);

  botonok = new Button("Calcular");
  constraints.gridwidth = GridBagConstraints.SOUTH;
  gridbag.setConstraints(botonok, constraints);
  add(botonok);
  botonok.addActionListener(this);
 }

}