Try this:

import java.io.*;
public class ReadKeyB {

public static void main (String args[]) {

DataInputStream in = new DataInputStream(System.in);
String s ;

try {
      s = in.readLine();
      int myint = new Integer(s).intValue();
      myint++;
      System.out.println(myint);
     }

catch (Exception e) {
   System.out.println("Error: " + e.toString());
     }

    }

}

readLine() is deprecated in jdk1.2 but it does the job. The main idea is
you get the string, parse it into an Integer object and extract the int
value, add one & print. From here you could use a non deprecated function.

hope this helps.

Carlitos.