> We should probably take this discussion to another list as it isn't so
> much java-linux anymore....

And therefore, I will try make my final response brief and to the point.

> > Again, it's a matter of semantics. I'm not debating what is actually going on.
>
> "what is actually going on" is implementation trivia, what matters to
> a programmer in Java is that the values of your variables are safe.
> Those variables may or may not contain object references.

I am in total agreement. But when the question is whether *objects* are
passed by reference, the answer is still yes, even if the word "parameter"
was used when asking the question (even though the "parameter", which is
actually the reference itself, is passed by value).

Of course, I may be wrong in assuming the person asking the question was
really looking to know wheather objects are cloned or not, in which case I apologize,
but in my experience most people who ask that particular question are novice
programmers
who usually aren't even quite sure of the fact that for:

         String myString = ...;

myString is not an object, but a reference to an object. Hence, my
assumption. I do recognize that my argument in my initial post was a bit
unclear as to what I really meant though, so I can understand the "up-roar" :)

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://scode.infidyne.com