On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Carsten Hoeger wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, Peter John Cameron wrote:
>
> > Where can I find a Suse rpm of the latest glibc, or at least glibc > 2.1.0?
> > Suse 7.0 Professional doesn't seem to include any glibc package (why not?)
> > and all my web searches have proved fruitless. I need glibc > 2.1.0 for the
> > latest IBM Java SDK. I downloaded source for glibc and a threads package
> > from gnu.org but rather than trying to compile it myself for the moment
> > (because of some problems I had compiling the latest KDE source, despite
> > having no problems with the RC release and have now got the Suse KDE2 rpms
> > installed).
>
> Maybe it is only the name that makes you wonder, that we have no
> glibs:
>
> The devel package:
>
> +/choeger $ rpm -q libc
> libc-2.1.3-134
>
> The shared libs:
>
> +/choeger $ rpm -q shlibs
> shlibs-2.1.3-134

I understand that glibc was a split development branch which is
now being merged back into libc.  In future there won't be a glibc,
just a single libc branch.  Perhaps that's why you can't find a pre-built
package with that version requirement.

That's what I've read, anyway.   I don't remember what versions were
under discussion.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson