> > I'm sorry if this is a silly or always-repeated question, but I didn't
> > find any reference in the faq, and I really need urgently a solution.
> >
> > The problem is, I'm trying to run jdk-1.1.8-v3-glibc-2.1.3 with my
> > Slackware-7.0 linux distribution (glibc-2.1 based!). It's not possible for
> > my to use newer versions, I need this one.
[..]
> > zapl:~$ /opt/jdk118_v3/bin/javac
> > SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
> >         stackbase=0xbffff198, stackpointer=0xbffff060
[..]
> >         java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java)

You are missing the en_US locale, which the VM depends upon for
character translation.  I'm not sure of the best way to install
it for Slackware (i.e. what package contains it).  Typically
your locales will live in /usr/share/locale/* or /usr/lib/locale/*
and you need to get en_US/ in there.

You might also try this tidbit from the glibc INSTALL notes:

>    After installation you might want to configure the timezone and
> locale installation of your system.  The GNU C library comes with a
> locale database which gets configured with `localedef'.  For example, to
> set up a German locale with name `de_DE', simply issue the command
> `localedef -i de_DE -f ISO-8859-1 de_DE'.  To configure all locales
> that are supported by glibc, you can issue from your build directory the
> command `make localedata/install-locales'.

Greg