From: Nathan Meyers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 21/11/2000 09:44 PST

To:   Peter Pilgrim/DMGIT/DMG UK/DeuBa@DMG UK; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:
Subject:  Re: How do you get to process list ?(ps auwwx in Java)

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 03:37:48PM +0000, Peter Pilgrim wrote:

> Ok you've convinced me to look at `info proc' or `man proc' latter tonight.
> [OT]: How on earth do they this on Solaris?

There's no standard solution - not surprising, given this data's tight
coupling with the kernel. Various Unix vendors have introduced their
own system calls or relied on rooting through /dev/kmem (with an
understanding of kernel data structures and symbol addresses) to gather
this information.  The /proc filesystem is one of the cleanest
solutions around.

Unfortunately, it's not standard either. I've seen it on another Unix
(Solaris, I think), but it offered much less than Linux's /proc.
There's also a move afoot to create XML-formatted versions of the
various /proc files, which will make parsing of the information much
less fragile.

--<CUT DOWN>--

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender