On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Nancy F. Maniquis wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have a java application (jdk 1.3) that works fine in Windows 98
> but spews out this exception in my Linux pc (Red Hat 6.1):
>
> java.net.UnknownHostException: home
>  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:571)
>  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:540)
>  at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:449)
>
> And I have no idea why.  Help?  Maybe I need to edit a config file somewhere?

Are you able to "ping home" from a shell prompt on the linux machine?
The key question is can the ping command resolve the string "home"
into an ip address using your system's name resolver.  If not, Java won't
be able to, either.  (Manual substitution of the ip address for 'home'
in the ping command does NOT answer the resolver question!)

If ping doesn't work, verify "nslookup home" doesn't work, either.
Then look at /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf and the man pages
for nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf.

If your network has no dns services, then verify your /etc/hosts file has
an entry for system 'home'.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson